Lavender holds its beauty not only in its deep purple hues but also its natural medicinal healing properties. As popularity grows for the use of essential oils, lavender is favored amongst health minded individuals because of its versatility and pleasant, calming aroma.
The applications for lavender are endless, from baking to DIY household cleaners. But the true benefits are in the healing properties for the mind and body.
Lift Your Spirits
Lavender’s scent alone can lift depression and ease stress and anxiety. The oil sends a calming message to the brain making it a natural sedative and relaxant. By mixing water with a few drops of lavender in a spray bottle you can spritz yourself throughout the day to increase beta power and feel an overall sense of positivity and calmness.
Ease the Mind
Lavender has a soothing aroma that makes for an excellent nerve tonic that helps aid in alleviating pain. Many people who struggle with migraines can benefit from massaging lavender oil onto their temples and at the nape of their neck. A mixture of the scent and its medicinal powers can lift the migraine and produce a meditative state.
Commonly known for its anti-inflammatory properties, lavender makes for an excellent solution for healing cuts, burns, eczema and even dandruff. Mix a quarter size amount of coconut oil with a few drops of lavender and apply it to the problem area. Lavender is a natural antiseptic and will speed up the healing process and prevent scarring.
Melt Away Aches and Pains
Lavender has been used for decades as a calming and relaxing herb for sore muscles and joint pain. Lavender will not only soothe the muscles by calming the aroma nerves, but it will increase circulation and stimulation on the applied area. Adding a few drops onto a warm weighted neck pillow will bring instant relief from tense shoulders and stiff neck pains.
Treat yourself to an in home spa experience by practicing one of the methods above or by mixing a few drops of lavender oil into an epsom salt bath. Not only will you feel deeply relaxed and soothe ailments, but you will smell amazing as well.
Throughout the month of March, our wellness theme is Meditation! With the hectic pace and demands of our everyday life, it’s easy to feel stressed and overwhelmed. It can sometimes feel as if there is not enough time in the day to get everything done. All of these aspects can make us unhappy, impatient, and frustrated, often leading to affect our well-being. Meditation is both crucial and beneficial for a few reasons:
- It’s good for our bodies. Studies have shown that meditation can help reverse heart disease, reduce pain, and support the immune system.
- It’s good for our relationships. Meditating can help you connect with others in a more meaningful way, causing less anger, more self-reflecting, and love.
- It can change our lives. Even just a few minutes of deep breathing a day can help relax the brain, reduce anxiety, and decrease depression.
All you need are a few minutes each day to mediate. Here are a few tips to starting your mediation:
- Find a quiet place where you can relax and won’t be disturbed.
- Be present with your surroundings.
- Focus on your breath. Take long and deep breaths, feeling your breath go in and out.
- Take notice of your body and how each body part feels.
- Practice this daily.
Here at Glen Ivy we offer various relaxing spots for you to be at peace with yourself. Come practice your daily meditation with us!
Happy New Year from Glen Ivy Hot Springs! The new year is all about fresh starts and Glen Ivy Hot Springs is sharing a few ReSOLUTION tips to help get our bodies, minds and souls on track for 2017.
ReSOLUTIONS for our bodies:
- Discover an exercise or fitness activity you enjoy and schedule time in your week to make sure you stick to it. Whether it’s jogging, joining a fitness class with your best friend or going on a hike, incorporating a physical activity in your week will get your body on track for a successful year.
- Drink plenty of water. Replace the immediate cup of coffee in the morning with a cup of ice water instead to jumpstart your metabolism and feel better throughout the day.
- Greens are great when it comes to nutrition. Incorporate a few leafy greens in your week and your body will thank you.
ReSOLUTIONS for our minds:
- Getting the recommended 7-8 hours of sleep a night will do wonders for the mind. The more sleep you get, the more mindful you will feel throughout the day.
- We all could benefit from spending a little less time on our phones and technology. Try giving yourself a technology-free hour once a day where you enjoy an activity that does not include technology.
- Take the time to learn something new. From learning a new language to researching a different country, expanding your knowledge with new information is a great way to use your mind to its fullest.
ReSOLUTIONS for our souls:
- Be sure to make time for your passions. Jot down a physical or mental to-do list of ways in which you will live your passion this year in order to hold yourself accountable.
- Volunteering is a great way to give back and is always beneficial for the soul. Even if it’s sporadically, volunteering is a positive activity that benefits others as well as yourself.
- Be grateful and always try to find the bright side in every situation. Stopping and appreciating the beautiful things in the world is a positive way to look at life.