Promoting Healthy Skin with Essential Oils
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years to help to promote clean, clear, and youthful skin. The nutrients and proteins in essential oils help to maintain the “mattress-like” bounce and stimulate growth of new, healthy cells. Essential oils can also help to stimulate blood circulation of blood, which helps to oxygenate the cells, thus allowing for regeneration. Additionally, some essential oils contain hormonal-like qualities which encourage a firm and youthful appearance.
As you read through the following tips on using essential oils for the skin, remember the following:
- You can use any one of these oils or you can combine them to make your own custom blend.
- Use essential oils in a bath or as a face & body oil.
- Allow at least thirty days to see a difference in the condition of your skin.
- Mix 10 to 15 drops of the essential oil or essential oil combination of your choice with a Tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Apply the oil mixture sparingly to the face and allow it to penetrate overnight.
- For the body, massage the essential oil blend into skin, then soak in a warm bath while massaging the skin with a soft bath mitt.
- Nut oils such as almond oil, hazelnut oil
- Pitted Fruit oils such as apricot kernel oil, avocado oil
Essential Oils for All Skin Types:
- Evening primrose
- Borage seed
To Promote Youthful Looking Skin:
- Skin Over 20 – Neroli, lavender, fennel, chamomile, geranium, carrot.
- Skin Over 30 – Patchouli, palma rosa, clary-sage, fennel, rose hydrosol, carrot, borage seed, jojoba.
- Skin Over 40 – Neroli, lavender, Frankincense, rosemary, fennel, lemon, carrot, evening primrose.
- Skin over 50 – Rose hydrosol, neroli, lavender, myrrh, carrot, boise de rose, borage seed, evening primrose.
To Balance Skin:
- Chamomile, geranium, lavender, rose hydrosol, neroli, Palma rose, lemon, fennel, jasmine hydrosol, Bois de rose, frankincense, benzoic.
For Normal Skin :
- Chamomile, sandalwood, Boise de rose, patchouli, rose hydrosol, lavender, hyssop, benzoic, calendula, geranium, Palma rosa, rosemary, neroli.
For Oily Skin:
- Chamomile, juniper, Palma rosa, lemon, lime, orange, Frankincense, lavender, geranium, cypress, marjoram, rosemary, Ylang-ylang, rose hydrosol.
For the Lips:
- Mix 6 to 8 drops of any of these essential oils in your hand and dab onto lips.
- Geranium, lavender, chamomile, palma rosa, carrot, lemon, rose hydrosol.
These oils are mild enough to be used without a base oil, especially if used with carrot oil and/or Palma rosa oil.
To Make Your Own Astringent:
1 oz witch hazel
1 oz rose hydrosol or orange flower hydrosol
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 drops juniper oil
1 drop lime oil
1 drop grapefruit oil
Combine all ingredients in a clean jar or bottle and apply to the face using a cotton round.
Please note: Some of the suggested oils are photo-sensitizers. Angelica and cold pressed citrus oils should not be used on the skin within 12 hours of exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet light. If you choose to use one of these oils on your face, please use it only at night.
Before using essential oils for skin care, always test the oils on a small patch of skin to be sure there will be no reaction or irritation. Always check with your doctor before using essential oils on skin with a chronic condition such as eczema, psoriasis or dermatitis.