Archive for May, 2011
It was hard but we picked four very deserving winners for each week of our MUDder’s Day photo contest. Now it’s up to YOU to pick the grand prize winner! The grand prize winner will receive a $100 Glen Ivy gift card. Be sure to cast your vote before Friday June 3 at noon. We will announce the Winner Friday at 3 pm here on the Blog!
The Orange County Register is hosting the Best of the OC People’s Choice Awards. Take a moment to Vote for your Favorites and be entered to WIN $500! Look for Glen Ivy Spa Brea in the “For Yourself” category, eligible for Best Day Spa/Massage, Mani/Pedi, and Tanning Salon!
Other recognition and awards we have been honored to receive include:
- Best Day Spa (Brea and Valencia) Spa Magazine, 2010
- #2 Best Day Spa Orange County Register, 16th Annual Best of Orange County, 2009
- Best Spa Parenting OC, Best of Orange County 2009 Readers’ Choice, 2009
Since we arrived in Orange County in 2002, Glen Ivy Day Spa Brea has been dedicated to helping our guests enjoy a happier and healthier life. Our convenient location in the Brea Mall makes it easy to escape for a few hours or a full day… relaxing in our solarium, enjoying the many treatments that we offer, or celebrating a special occasion with friends. The thing we love about being here in Orange County is the weather and of course, our amazing guests! With summer upon us, we are excited to announce a list of new Treatment Specials to keep you looking and feeling your beautiful best.
We couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day for the last day of our MUDder’s Day photo contest. Moms gathered in Club Mud with their daughters, sons and friends and as the pictures show, had a great time playing in the mud! Congratulations to Anthony and his mom for having the winning photo for this week!
Stay tuned to vote for our grand prize winner who will win a $100 Glen Ivy gift card! Voting starts Tuesday, May 31!
School is almost out, summer is here, and we want to thank teachers for their hard work throughout the year!
At Glen Ivy, we appreciate the role teachers play in our communities. For many formative years, teachers are one of the most important adults in a child’s life. They work very hard every day to help our children learn and grow, encouraging and guiding, and trying to throw some fun into the mix. Now it’s that time of year again, when the kids are squirming in their seats counting the days until summer vacation, to show teachers how much all their hard work is appreciated!
Here is a list of great gifts and our favorite ways to honor teachers:
A “thank you” note or email takes only a moment to write and send but the pleasure it gives is enormous. Try to send these any time you feel there is a reason, and encourage your child to contribute some words to the note. Not sure what to say? Download this Teacher Appreciation Certificate to let your teacher know how much you value them.
Give them a day of relaxation and renewal.
A Spa Day at Glen Ivy.
We know first hand one gift teachers treasure is a day at the Spa. A small dollar contribution from each family adds up quickly to become a gift card that can be redeemed at Glen Ivy Hot Springs or Glen Ivy Day Spas and Brea or Valencia.
Teacher Bonus: Glen Ivy Hot Springs offers a 15% discount on spa admission every day to all teachers when they present valid identification and proof of profession.
You can Purchase a Gift Card in any amount online at glenivy.com, call 888-GLEN IVY, or visit any Glen Ivy Spa in Corona, Brea, or Valencia. Or try one of our fun Instant Gift Certificates that you can print or email instantly!
Want to really make your teacher smile? Pair one of these group gift ideas with a gift card from Glen Ivy Spa.
Make a classroom cookbook.
Each child produces his or her own page with a favorite recipe, a drawing or photo, and a special message to the teacher. Laminate the pages, punch and put into a pretty binder.
Make a classroom memento book.
As above, but each child should produce a page of their favorite memory of the teacher or the year, a drawing and a photo of themselves (with the teacher if possible).
Make a DVD.
If one of the parents has a video camera and basic editing software you can put together a class DVD. Take a snippet of footage of each child (perhaps singing a song, recounting a favorite experience at school, or just saying why they love their teacher). If possible add some class events or shots of the classroom, and package the DVD nicely.
Learn and Grow Garden or Bouquet.
Ask each child to bring a seedling of their favorite flower or edible herb, and create a decorative planting one or two pots or window boxes. Your teacher can enjoy fresh blooms and fragrant herbs all summer long. An alternative to this idea is for each child to bring a cut flower to make one large bouquet.
In honor of Memorial Day, please join us in supporting our nation’s troops. Glen Ivy supports troops serving in different locations throughout the world by putting together care packages of clothing, toiletries, snacks, and cards from guests and employees every few months. This month we will be sending packages to 187 troops and we appreciate your support in providing encouragement to these special men and women who serve our country.
There are two ways to show your support with Glen Ivy this Friday, May 27 through Monday, May 30:
- Write a card to a soldier. Cards and pens will be available at several locations over the weekend at Glen Ivy Hot Springs. Take a moment out of your day to write some words of kindness and encouragement to a soldier serving our country overseas. If you can’t visit us this weekend, feel free to leave a comment below or on Facebook and we’ll be happy to hand write your note in your name.
- Purchase our special Red Poppy Cookies. The red poppy was worn in remembrance of those who died in World War I. Small packages of these beautiful and delicious treats will be available in a few locations over the weekend at Glen Ivy Hot Springs. All proceeds from the sale of these cookies will go to care packages for the troops.
We Shall Keep the Faith
by Moina Michael, November 1918
Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,
Sleep sweet – to rise anew!
We caught the torch you threw
And holding high, we keep the Faith
With All who died.
We cherish, too, the poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led;
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies,
But lends a lustre to the red
Of the flower that blooms above the dead
In Flanders Fields.
And now the Torch and Poppy Red
We wear in honor of our dead.
Fear not that ye have died for naught;
We’ll teach the lesson that ye wrought
In Flanders Fields.
It was a cool day for our third week of our MUDder’s Day photo contest but that didn’t stop some moms from getting muddy! This week’s winner goes to Diana and her group who all struck their fiercest pose!
There is still one more chance to win two Grotto passes and a $100 Glen Ivy gift card! We will be snapping photos on Wednesday, May 25 at 1pm in Club Mud! Voting for the best MUDder’s Day photo will start on our blog on Monday, May 30 so stay tuned!
For full contest details click here.
While every season offers a unique experience at the Hot Springs, the warm summer days are the most popular with our guests. Always a favorite place to enjoy friends, celebrate special people and occasions, or have a mini staycation, whatever brings you to the Spa, we want you to know that delivering the quality spa experience you expect is our priority. On the most popular days, such as weekends and holidays, we often reach our maximum guest count and are not able to accommodate everyone, sometimes having to turn people away. To avoid disappointment, and for the best experience, we encourage a little advance planning and offer these insider tips for enjoying a great spa day at the Hot Springs in Corona!
Tip #1: Arrive with plenty of time before your treatment so you aren’t feeling rushed.
- Many choose to start their day at the spa early so our front desk staff is busiest in the morning between 9:30 – 11 am. We take care to provide each guest with an individual welcome and attention, which means it will usually take more than just a few minutes per person to get checked in. We promise you’ll appreciate the personalized attention when it’s your turn one-on-one with our staff. If your appointments aren’t until the afternoon, plan on arriving a bit later to avoid line ups, or bring a book or magazine to enjoy while waiting.
- Arrive just in time to participate in one of our programs before checking in such as Yoga, Pilates, or a Guided Labyrinth Walk on the front lawn – see all Events and Activities schedule.
Tip #2: Expect a wait time to enter the Spa and also within at popular attractions such as the mineral baths and Café Solé.
- It’s a day at the Spa – you’re here to relax and have fun so use any wait time to delight in the joy of each other’s company, reflect on memories and share stories together.
- Complimentary lockers in the Bath House also become full quickly on busier days so we recommend packing light and sharing when possible.
- Café Solé is busiest through typical lunch hour, so consider planning your meals earlier or later in the day. Other options include the new Sunflower Sushi and tasty snacks available from the poolside Paradise Bar.
- When calling to make your appointments, ask for the availability of reserved lounge chairs in Club Solé, Paradise Falls or semi-private Cabañas for you and your group (rates vary).
- At the end of the day, the locker room in the Bath House is also busy as guests prepare to leave Glen Ivy. If you’re heading somewhere after your day at the spa and want to shower, change and get ready, plan to do so in the early afternoon before the rush, which usually begins an hour prior to closing.
Tip #3: Choose to come on weekdays, which are usually less popular than weekends.
- Make arrangements and appointments to visit Glen Ivy Hot Springs on weekdays and you can also take advantage of savings on admission and special packages like The Weekday Getaway which includes everything you need for a full day: Spa Admission, a 50 minute Swedish Massage OR 50 minute Glen Ivy Facial, Grotto Admission, and lunch! Available Monday-Thursday (excluding holidays) for just $160.
Tip #4: Make reservations up to 6 weeks in advance.
- While same day appointments are sometimes available, summer schedules fill up quickly. To ensure you get the treatments that you are hoping for, at your preferred time, we recommend you call for reservations as soon as you know which day you want to visit. Central reservation agents can assist you in selecting the right treatments for you at any Glen Ivy Spa. Please call 1.888.GLEN IVY (1.888.453.6489) between 7:30 am and 6:00 pm.
- If you’d like to make arrangements for a Together Massage with your favorite person, or Under the Oaks, do so well in advance, as these special rooms are limited in availability. Please note that The Grotto now also requires reservations.
- On our busiest days when we reach maximum guest count, guests with pre-booked treatment appointments are guaranteed admission to the Hot Springs.
Tip #5: Be Green at Glen Ivy
- Bring your own beach towel to use throughout the day – this will help preserve our laundry water usage, plus you’ll know which towel/chair is yours when you come out of the pool.
- Bring a reusable water bottle – just be sure it’s not glass. Use a stainless steel or plastic reusable bottle or tumbler to fill up with our delicious pure Glen Ivy Well Water to stay hydrated and reduce trash.
- Try The Grotto, where you’ll be painted green from head-to-toe with a light green body moisturizing mask. Great for the skin and fun with friends! Reservations required, call 888-GLEN IVY.
- Connect with nature by picking up our free Bird List or learn about the hundreds of species of plants in one of our popular Botanical Tours led by our Landscaping & Sustainability Team.
As always, our team is driven by your praise and love for Glen Ivy and we thank you for your continued support. Looking forward to welcoming you to Glen Ivy soon!
Warm Water Wishes,
Your Friends at Glen Ivy
10 Ways to Boost Your Midday Energy Level
Some afternoons we can find ourselves fading fast, difficulty concentrating, not feeling productive, distracted, and looking for something sweet, another cup of coffee, or a chance to close our eyes! Instead of enduring the lunchtime lethargy, give these 10 midday energy boosts a try.
1. Stay Hydrated.
Start your day with a glass of water and be sure to keep drinking throughout the day. Our bodies can get dehydrated while we sleep, resulting in feeling extra fatigued upon awakening. If you start hydrating in the morning, you will be less likely to hit that midday slump. If you consistently drink less than 8 cups of water a day, you may be sluggish all the time. Get a 32 oz (1 quart, 4 cups) water bottle. Your goal is to polish off 2 of those a day. Try it for a week and see if your general energy level increases.
2. A good breakfast goes a long way.
Don’t expect coffee and a doughnut to carry you through the day, you need protein and fiber in your morning meal. For example, have an egg or sausage with whole grain pancakes or toast, or mix high-fiber cereal with yogurt. Here are some more great breakfast recipes from Chef Bill Wavrin.
3. Have some coffee with our milk.
If you can’t imagine your morning without coffee, try a latte–half coffee and half milk and avoid sweetening. The caffeine will give you a lift and the milk will help sustain it. Straight coffee or coffee heavy on the sugar will also give you instant energy but then result in a crash an hour or two later. Keep in mind, however, coffee with milk is not a substitute for a well-balanced breakfast.
4. Fatten up your lunch and other meals.
Studies show that omega-3 fats help improve brain function and can keep you alert. In addition, adding healthy fats to your meals will keep you feeling full longer and help sustain your energy. Healthy fats include salmon, tuna, nuts, seeds, avocados and olive oil.
5. Get a massage.
Loosen up those tight muscles and you’ll feel more relaxed. A more relaxed you means a happier and more productive you. Trade a quick shoulder rub with a coworker after lunch to perk both of you up for the rest of the afternoon.
6. Listen to tunes while you work.
It’s well known that our brain’s pleasure centers light up when we hear music. Throwing on the headphones and listening to any music you like while working will give you a productivity boost.
7. Get moving.
A bit of physical activity will also get your mind moving. Take a brisk 10 minute walk or use your lunch hour to take a spin class or do yoga. Exercise will get your blood and endorphins pumping, giving you the stamina to get through the afternoon.
8. Avoid a mid-day cocktail.
If you want to function in the afternoon, avoid alcohol at lunch. Even if it’s just one beer. Alcohol’s sedative effects will take hours to recover from, killing the rest of your afternoon.
Turn off the internet and go socialize with friends. Humans are social animals, and we need regular socializing to keep ourselves in peak health and energy.
10. Stay organized.
Disarray can drain your energy because every item out of place is a visual form of procrastination. Instead of letting your cluttered home or office suck the life out of your day, take a mere hour a day to organize one area of your home or your desk. Knowing what you have, being able to easily find it, and having a tidy space will give you a lift and eliminate the energy-sucking effect of clutter.
Have a great day!
The sun was shining and our moms were smiling for the second week of our MUDder’s Day photo contest at the Hot Springs. Moms and daughters lathered themselves up in Club Mud as their Mother’s Day celebrations continued. We snapped their photo and are excited to announce this week’s winner is……..yoga enthusiasts, Erika and Susan who win 2 passes to enjoy the Grotto!
Don’t worry if you have missed the past few weeks of the contest! There are still three more chances to win! Just meet us in Club Mud every Wednesday in May from 1-2pm for a chance to win passes to the Grotto and a $100 Glen Ivy gift card!
For complete contest details, click here.
Imagine floating in a warm pool of chest deep water. You are being held, floated, gently stretched, and massaged. You move with the rhythm of your breath as the warm water allows you to open to deeper states of relaxation. Your tension melts, stress reduces, and pain is released. What are you experiencing? A Watsu® Massage.
Watsu® (or Water Shiatsu) is a form of water hydrotherapy massage which integrates the healing qualities of water with stretches, acupressure, and cranio-sacral manipulation. Each session is not only a massage, but a profound experience that promotes healing “shifts” on the physical, emotional and spiritual levels.
While in the water, your body is able to move in ways that are impossible on land. This deeply relaxing and healing treatments is offered at Glen Ivy Hot Springs and is performed by two of our specially trained Watsu® practitioners, Carla and Lori. Today they shared their journey into the world of Watsu® and why it’s such a unique experience that everyone should try:
Lori: “I originally got into massage after I had met three amazing massage therapists and energy workers who came in and worked with my daughter and other kids at CHOC Hospital while she was undergoing treatment for leukemia. I could see the positive difference in the way their pain was eased, moods uplifted, and in general as it helped them to relax.
It impacted and touched me so deeply that after my daughter’s passing, I decided I wanted to give back; so I went to massage school and have continued to study many different forms of bodywork including yoga and natural health practices, and have also gone on to become a Certified Holistic Health Coach. I am now in my 19th year of doing massage therapy.
A few years after I had been doing massage, I was working at a place that rented videos of different styles of bodywork and I saw this video called “Watsu®” and I thought “What is that?” I took it home and watched it and my heart started racing and tears flowed down my face and I just knew I HAD to practice this!
The first time I experienced Watsu®, when I finally opened my eyes after an hour and a half session, my Mom had tears flowing down her face and she said she had never seen me so relaxed and beautiful. I felt like I had been reborn. I was so relaxed and at peace. I went for my training six months after and it is the most amazing bodywork I have even encountered. It is so healing and transformative.”
Carla: “I have been a massage therapist for eleven years now. When Watsu® was brought into our Glen Ivy Hot Springs location I immediately tried it out. It was so heavenly and amazing that I was researching that very same night where I could go to study it. I wanted to be able to help people achieve the profound sense of relaxation and joy that my Watsu® experience had given me. Now I am a Watsu® practitioner here at Glen Ivy Hot Springs and going on my second season. I love seeing the look on people’s faces after their sessions and I am moved by how much they benefit from a session.
The healing qualities of the warm water seem to magnify the benefits of body work. Each session is a unique experience tailored to what your practitioner senses in your body that day.
I hope more people will take advantage of the wonderful healing on both the physical and emotional levels that Watsu® can offer.”
Here is what guests are saying about their Watsu® experiences:
“The most profound massage I have ever had the joy to experience. I don’t have the words to express–colors are brighter, the air is sweeter. Thank you.” K.S
“This was the most unique massage experience. It was instantly relaxing and comforting. I was transported to another world that is filled with love and joy. I will definitely do Watsu® again! It was so enjoyable. Amazing! Thank you so much.” E.S
“Carla, you make this treatment beautiful. Thank you!.” J.T
Interested in booking a Watsu® Massage experience? Call 888-GLEN IVY to book your appointment now!